IRENA’s (International Renewable Energy Agency) new headquarters in Masdar City, Abu Dhabi, exemplifies the overall development of Masdar City and embodies the Estidama ‘four pillars of sustainability’ (social, environmental, economic and cultural).
The Grade A office building has been designed by Woods Bagot and developed by the Masdar Organisation, the company responsible for delivering Masdar City as a low-carbon, sustainable city. IRENA Headquarters also includes speculative commercial space which, combined with the space occupied by IRENA staff, offers a total floor area of 32,000m². The highly sustainable Four Pearl Estidama-rated commercial building features:
- Achieved the first ever awarded Four Pearl Estidama PBRS rating for both design and construction
- Reduction in energy demand by 42% compared to global energy-efficiency standards
- Design and installation of 1,000m2 of rooftop photovoltaic solar panels supplying electricity to the building
- Potable water use reduction by over 50% through the utilisation of high performance flow and flush fixtures
- Diversion of over 93% of construction waste from landfill reducing the long-term environmental impacts associated with construction waste collection, transport and disposal