The Cabrini Redevelopment project is a renovation and rehabilitation of the former Cabrini Medical Center located within the Gramercy District of New York City. For the past five years, the complex has remained underutilized. Founded in 1892 as the Columbus Hospital, the building served the local community within Gramercy Park, Murray Hill, Stuyvesant Town-Peter Cooper Village, and the East Village until 2008 when it closed due to financial difficulties.
In an aim to reinvent the site, the designers were presented with five interconnected buildings totaling to 400,000 square feet to be converted into residential buildings. In order to achieve this, two of the existing buildings—the addition to the hospital and the garage at the corner of 89th Avenue and 150th Street—were razed and parts of other buildings, such as the 1940s brick building at 88th Avenue and 153rd Street, were demolished to maximize value and quality. The tallest tower, standing at 94 feet, was preserved. After some reworking, the resulting design is a residential precinct made up of four buildings, three of which were converted and one that was built from the ground up, with the same square footage.
Despite some of the condos already selling in some of the buildings, the entire project is not yet complete.