September 19, 2019
The role of the Project BIM Manager (PBM) is responsible for managing overall/project-wide BIM implementation on a given project, through Design to Construction phases. PBM will liaise with all project stakeholders and establish BIM goals and objectives from the outset and ensure that necessary infrastructure, protocol, and procedures are in place for a successful BIM implementation. PBM will act as a single point of contact for all BIM/Model related queries and ensure BIM protocol compliance throughout the project phases.
- Client/Project Manager BIM expectations assessment
- Project stakeholders team review and skill assessment
- Hardware/software assessment
- BIM Goals and Objectives
- BIM (Key Performance Indicators) KPIs
- BIM Execution Plan
- LOD and Responsibility Matrix per project phase
- Hardware/software requirements
- Project origin/orientation
- Model/Data Exchange system
- Model breakdown
- Model naming/revisioning convention
- Model usage
- Software specific modelling protocols to achieve desired BIM goals
- Common coordination/review platform and protocol/procedure
- Kick-off meetings
- Training requirements
- Resource requirements, mainly BIM Management
- Deliverables (2D/3D), including schedules
- Interoperability workflows for multiple BIM platforms
- Implement and enforce BIM Execution Plan and protocols
- Facilitate and chair regular BIM coordination meetings
- Regular model audit to ensure compliance with agreed protocol/procedures
- Aggregate models into a combined model and make available for regular review/coordination
- Facilitate combined model review/coordination process during design workshops
- Perform clash detection and issue clash detection reports
- Project support
- Supply chain support
- Liaise with 4D sequencing team and support them in utilising the latest BIM models
- Regular BIM ‘policing’
- Measure BIM KPIs regularly
BIM Practical Completion
- Audit ‘as-built’ or ‘record’ BIM models submitted at the practical completion and ensure they comply with BIM protocol/procedure
- Facilitate compliance check with the construction team for ‘as-built’ conditions
- Aggregate models into a single combine model for final ‘as-built’ or ‘record’ model
- Issue ‘as-built’ or ‘record’ model in agreed file formats on agreed media, i.e. DVD/Aconex/ftp site etc.
- Issue BIM completion report
- BIM completion sign-off
As the successful candidate, you will have experience working in a similar role, and have a strong understanding of project workflows and project management. The ideal candidate will have exceptional relationship-building skills.
Education & Skills
- Possession of a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Architecture is required and ideally hold architectural registration
- Minimum of 5 years experience in architectural practice or 2 years for Coordinator;
- Minimum of 5 BIM projects (2 for Coordinator) that involve complex, multi‐phase, large scale, mid‐ to highrise buildings from concept to completion;
- Thorough comprehension of parametric object‐based models, design, engineering/construction models;
- Must be proficient in the application of Autodesk Revit, or Graphisoft ArchiCAD, as well as 2D CAD and other 3‐D visualization and simulation applications;
- Ability to lead/train/troubleshoot in full‐scale company‐wide BIM implementation;
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion and to set priorities and manage competing demands;
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical procedures, government regulations and building codes;
- Demonstrate a reliable, responsive and positive work ethic with the highest degree of integrity; and
- Prior work experience in a privately‐held company will prove beneficial, but not necessary.
- Understanding project workflows (schematic design, design development, construction documentation phases) and project management
- Understanding the different needs of the delivery team (architects, engineers, estimators & contractors). The BIM Manager works much earlier with the entire project team in setting up the project structure and data exchange formats.
- Technical knowledge of the BIM application used, related systems and network infrastructure, aware of new technologies
- Communication and training skills (verbal and written)
- Strong teaching and coaching skills to bring new team members up to speed
- Ability to communicate the benefits of BIM firm-wide including the “personal win” at each level in the organization.
About Woods Bagot:
Wood Bagot is a leading architecture and design company. We place human experience at the centre of our design process in order to deliver engaging, future-oriented projects that respond to the way people use space. We do this as a global design and consulting studio with a team of over 1000 experts working across 15 studios in Australia, Asia, Europe, the Middle East and North America. We operate in a collaborative and open environment where our global studio environment, ideas, teamwork and research allow us to deliver exceptional solutions to our clients.
If you have the knowledge, skills, and experience for this role, we would love to hear from you!
Please email your CV both in Chinese & English with portfolio (less than 8M) to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the title Project BIM Manager
Woods Bagot is an equal opportunity employer that truly believes in the diversity of thought. Our diverse teams encourage our quest for Rigorous Curiosity, Uncompromising Design, Collective Intelligence, Effective Communication and Dynamic Careers for our people